Minor in Possession Lawyers in Ponca City

Every year, many minors in Ponca City are charged with a criminal misdemeanor due to possession of alcohol. The legal consequences for such an offense can be quite serious and often include fines, probation, community service, and more. Therefore, those accused of minor in possession charges need to understand their rights and the potential penalties they may face.

Before anything else, be sure to call Ball Morse Lowe immediately if your child has been accused of minor in possession. Our experienced criminal defense attorneys can help make sure that your rights are protected and that you understand all of your options for fighting the charge.

In Ponca City, Oklahoma, minors found to be in possession of alcohol or other intoxicating substances may face a hefty fine as well as a record of a criminal misdemeanor. Also, the court may order probation, community service, or even referral to an alcohol and drug education program. Depending on the severity of the offense, a minor may also be sentenced to serve time in jail or juvenile detention as punishment for their actions.

What Does 'Minor in Possession' Mean?

Minor in possession, or MIP, charges are most often applied to minors who have been found to possess alcohol or any other intoxicating substance. Aside from prosecution for a criminal misdemeanor, the minor can also face administrative action if they are caught trying to purchase alcohol. In some cases, a parent or guardian may be held responsible for their child's actions as well.

At this point, we should note that in some cases, a minor may be charged with MIP even if they are not actually in possession of alcohol or drugs. For example, if the police find an empty beer can near a minor, they could still be charged with this crime. In this case, it's highly advised that you contact Ball Morse Lowe right away for expert legal advice.

What are the Alcohol Laws in Oklahoma?

In Oklahoma, it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to consume or possess any type of alcohol. Remember, minors may not be given alcohol as a gift or served by an adult – except in very limited circumstances. It's also illegal for adults to give alcohol to minors, or for minors to try and purchase alcohol.

Examples of Minor in Possession Charges

Minor in possession charges can include a variety of scenarios, such as the following:

  • Possession or consumption of alcohol by a minor
  • Attempting to purchase alcohol while underage
  • Providing false information to obtain alcohol (e.g. claiming to be 21)
  • Being visibly intoxicated in public while underage

Why is the Legal Drinking Age 21 in the United States?

The legal drinking age in the United States is 21 due to the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984. This act was passed by Congress and signed into law by President Ronald Reagan; the law required states to increase their minimum drinking age to 21 as a condition for receiving federal highway funds.

This law was implemented to reduce alcohol-related automobile crashes and fatalities. Studies have shown that raising the drinking age to 21 has resulted in a dramatic decrease in these types of incidents.

Are There Exceptions to the Legal Drinking Age?

Yes, there are several exceptions to the legal drinking age in Oklahoma:

  • Minors can consume alcohol on private property if it is given or served by a parent or legal guardian, and in accordance with applicable state laws.
  • Minors may also consume alcohol for religious purposes.
  • Certain educational institutions can permit minors to taste or sample alcoholic beverages as part of school-sanctioned activities.

However, these exceptions are strictly regulated and deviations from the law can result in serious consequences. If you are unsure whether a certain activity or circumstance is allowed, be sure to read up on the local laws.

How to Defend Against a Minor in Possession Charge

If you're facing a minor in possession charge, there are several ways to fight the case. For starters, you must contact experienced legal representation immediately. An attorney can help make sure your rights are protected and build a defense strategy tailored to your specific situation. Call Ball Morse Lowe at 405.701.5355 or look around our website for the contact form; you'll need to enter some basic details and a short message. From here, we'll get back to you.

The most common defense used in MIP cases is that the defendant was falsely accused. This means that you must prove that the police officers acted unlawfully or made mistakes in their investigation. Also, you may argue that the minor did not possess alcohol or any other intoxicating substance at the time of the arrest.

Ball Morse Lowe will consider all the facts of your case and use them to come up with a valid defense strategy. We understand the seriousness of such charges and will do everything in our power to ensure that justice is served. Why not reach out for help today?

pexels-photo-1056553 (7)

Why Call Ball Morse Lowe?

The attorneys at Ball Morse Lowe have built a respected reputation over the decades for providing sophisticated counsel in complex oil, gas, and energy law matters, business law cases, transactions, estate planning, and family law matters. We take pride in assisting individuals and families with their legal concerns. Personable and responsive, our lawyers craft documents and develop strategies tailored to each client's unique goals and needs.

Ball Morse Lowe PLLC is committed to providing excellent service and sound solutions to our clients in a cost-effective manner. From our offices in Norman, Oklahoma City, Edmond, Stillwater, Frisco, and Denver, our attorneys provide services throughout the Oklahoma City, DFW, and Denver Metros and in other states, including Texas, North Dakota, Ohio, Colorado, California, Wyoming, and New Mexico.

Schedule Your Consultation