Minor in Possession Lawyers in Stillwater

Each year, a significant number of minors in Stillwater find themselves facing criminal misdemeanor charges for the possession of alcohol. The legal repercussions of such an offense can be substantial, often encompassing fines, probation, community service, and more. Consequently, those accused of minor in possession charges must be well-informed about their rights and the potential penalties they may confront.

First and foremost, it is imperative to contact Ball Morse Lowe immediately if your child has been accused of minor in possession. Our seasoned criminal defense attorneys possess the expertise needed to ensure your rights are upheld, while also offering comprehensive insights into the available options for contesting the charge.

In Stillwater, Oklahoma, minors discovered in possession of alcohol or other intoxicating substances may face not only a substantial fine but also a criminal misdemeanor record. Furthermore, the court may impose probation, community service, or mandate participation in an alcohol and drug education program. Depending on the severity of the offense, a minor may even be sentenced to serve time in jail or juvenile detention as punishment for their actions.

What Does 'Minor in Possession' Mean?

The term 'Minor in Possession' or MIP typically refers to charges filed against minors who have been found in possession of alcohol or any other intoxicating substance. In addition to facing prosecution for a criminal misdemeanor, minors may also be subject to administrative actions if caught attempting to purchase alcohol. In certain cases, parents or guardians may be held accountable for their child's actions as well.

It's crucial to note that minors can be charged with MIP even if they are not in actual possession of alcohol or drugs. For instance, if law enforcement discovers an empty beer can in proximity to a minor, they could still face this charge. In such instances, it is strongly recommended that you promptly contact Ball Morse Lowe for expert legal counsel.

What are the Alcohol Laws in Oklahoma?

In the state of Oklahoma, it is illegal for individuals under the age of 21 to consume or possess any form of alcohol. Minors are not permitted to receive alcohol as a gift or be served by an adult, with only very limited exceptions. It is also unlawful for adults to furnish alcohol to minors or for minors to attempt to purchase alcohol.

Examples of Minor in Possession Charges in Stillwater, OK

Minor in possession charges can manifest in various scenarios, including but not limited to:

  • Possession or consumption of alcohol by a minor
  • Attempting to purchase alcohol while underage
  • Providing false information to obtain alcohol (e.g., claiming to be 21)
  • Publicly displaying visible signs of intoxication while underage

The Rationale Behind the Legal Drinking Age of 21 in the United States

The legal drinking age in the United States stands at 21 due to the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984. This federal law, enacted by Congress and signed by President Ronald Reagan, mandated that states raise their minimum drinking age to 21 to qualify for federal highway funds.

This legislation aimed to reduce alcohol-related automobile accidents and fatalities. Studies have consistently demonstrated that raising the drinking age to 21 has led to a significant reduction in these tragic incidents.

Are There Exceptions to the Legal Drinking Age?

Indeed, there are exceptions to the legal drinking age in Oklahoma:

  • Minors can legally consume alcohol on private property if it is provided by a parent or legal guardian, and such consumption aligns with applicable state laws.
  • Minors may also consume alcohol for religious purposes.
  • Certain educational institutions may permit minors to sample alcoholic beverages as part of school-sanctioned activities.

It is essential to acknowledge that these exceptions are stringently regulated, and any deviation from the law can result in severe consequences. If there is any uncertainty about the permissibility of a particular activity or circumstance, it is advisable to familiarize oneself with local laws.

How to Defend Against a Minor in Possession Charge

When facing a minor in possession charge, several strategies can be employed to contest the case. The first and foremost step is to promptly seek experienced legal representation. An attorney will ensure that your rights are safeguarded and will formulate a defense strategy tailored to your unique circumstances. You can contact Ball Morse Lowe at 405.701.5355 or explore our website to access the contact form, where you can provide basic details and a brief message. We will then reach out to you.

The most prevalent defense in MIP cases involves asserting that the defendant was falsely accused. This necessitates demonstrating that law enforcement officers acted unlawfully or committed errors during their investigation. Additionally, it may be argued that the minor was not in possession of alcohol or any other intoxicating substance at the time of the arrest.

Ball Morse Lowe will meticulously assess all facets of your case and leverage them to develop a compelling defense strategy. We comprehend the gravity of such charges and are committed to doing everything within our capacity to ensure that justice prevails. Do not hesitate to seek assistance today!

pexels-photo-1056553 (7)

Why Call Ball Morse Lowe?

The attorneys at Ball Morse Lowe have built a respected reputation over the decades for providing sophisticated counsel in complex oil, gas, and energy law matters, business law cases, transactions, estate planning, and family law matters. We take pride in assisting individuals and families with their legal concerns. Personable and responsive, our lawyers craft documents and develop strategies tailored to each client's unique goals and needs.

Ball Morse Lowe PLLC is committed to providing excellent service and sound solutions to our clients in a cost-effective manner. From our offices in Norman, Oklahoma City, Edmond, Stillwater, Frisco, and Denver, our attorneys provide services throughout the Oklahoma City, DFW, and Denver Metros and in other states, including Texas, North Dakota, Ohio, Colorado, California, Wyoming, and New Mexico.

Schedule Your Consultation